July 12, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday 7/13




--- 1 ----

Last week as I wallowed in self pity I could almost hear my mother saying, "We have to adopt an attitude of gratitude." At the time I wouldn't admit it but she is so right! I easily slip into thinking, "my husband works too much, my daughter is too difficult, my battle with fatigue is too hard, my relationship with God isn't good enough, my baby has a bad rash, etc!!"  Self pity. I'm not sure there is another word for it. My husband sent me this wonderful meditation to put things into perspective:

"Whenever we suffer some affliction, we should regard it both as punishment and as a correction. Our holy Scriptures themselves do not promise us peace, security and rest. On the contrary, the Gospel makes no secret of the troubles and temptations that await us, but it also says that he who perseveres to the end will be saved. So we must not grumble, my brothers, and for as the Apostle says: some of them murmured and were destroyed by serpents. Is there any affliction now endured by mankind that was not endured by our fathers before us? What sufferings of ours even bear comparison with what we know of their sufferings? How then can you think that past ages were better than your own?"
-- St. Augustine
I am not the only mother to go through  hard times, in fact if I think about it, I am richly blessed. An attitude of gratitude. Thanks Mom!

---- 2 ---

What's on your menu this week? Having a barbeque? I posted our favorite ketchup recipe and Chocolate Chip Cookies. I made the cookies on Sunday and I can't stop thinking about them. I ate them for breakfast - before the kids got up! They are that good! 

I was so proud of myself the first time I made a condiment. It' super easy I promise!



---- 3 ---

It's a momentous week for my family and sister, Mary. On Monday she will be entering the Servant Sisters of the Home of the Mother. She's getting her habit! My parents are in Spain to witness such a wonderful event. I posted some pictures of her when she was a child, if you have a chance please remember her in your prayers!

She is the little girl on the left, sitting on the table.

---- 4 ----

Have you read anything by St. Therese of the Child Jesus? I have been staying very close to her these days! I feel as if her spirituality is something I can grasp, can strive for. She keeps it simple and real. Being a mother this is what I need. This quote below sums up a lot of her spirituality. I know that I can at least give a smile to my children and husband after a long day, at least a smile!


"In times of aridity when I am incapable of praying, of practicing virtue, I seek little opportunities, mere trifles, to give pleasure to Jesus; for instance a smile, a pleasant word when inclined to be silent and to show weariness. If I find no opportunities, I at least tell Him again and again that I love Him; that is not difficult and it keeps alive the fire in my heart. Even though this fire of love might seem extinct I would still throw little straws upon the embers and I am certain it would rekindle." - St. Therese


---- 5 ----

Now for food related links. My favorite! I could spend an entire day reading about food, thank goodness for real duties! Sarah at the Healthy Home Economist is great. She is intelligent and says it how it is. This post is about a vaccine injury, don't read if you are squeamish. It's quite sad and serious. 

If you want free online classes, Sally Fallon is hosting a webinar! She will talk about traditional diets, healthy fats, raw milk and sample meals! This is a great way to jump right on the traditional foods bandwagon. It saves time reading about it all!

How do you whiten your teeth? Katie at Wellness Mama uses charcoal. I have tried it and it really works! Beats getting them bleached!


--- 6 ---

I just realized those links weren't all that food related. Oh well. It all goes together right?  Last week I talked about caffeine and the love/hate relationship I have with it. This week I stopped drinking caffeinated tea. I had a headache for two days but my energy levels are back! As I read in the article, it affects blood sugar regulation. I already have an issue with blood sugar - so I need to stay away. For now I am staying away because I feel so much better. yay! My substitute? Herbal tea! Do you drink caffeine? What are your thoughts about it?

---- 7 ----

Need a little spark in your marriage?? Another link from Hallie over at Betty Beguiles: 15 Ways to Spice Up Your Marriage. Full of practical advice and a little spice!. Thank you, Hallie! 



7 Quick Takes linked up over here at Jennifer's Blog! Have a blessed day!

5 comments:

  1. #4 - Beautiful quote. Got to keep that one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. You are so so so very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that st. Augustine quote -- need to read that every day!

    congrats to your sister and your fam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh, #7 I laughed so hard, I almost spilled my wine! I am still giggling. that is so something I would do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...